I’ve been writing and reading science fiction and fantasy since 2009/10, and self-publishing 2012–2016. I’m aware of best practices in writing, editing, and preparing a book for publishing. I also have experience and qualifications in related areas of the publishing process, such as proofreading, copy editing, and book formatting. I’m a member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders.
- The Antpod Faction by Alex James (2012)
- Roc Isle: The Descent by Alex James (2013)
- Roc Isle: Tempest by Alex James (2014)
- Marcellus: The Mantle by Alex James (2015)
- Creative Writing Course at The Bowery Café in Headingley, Leeds, from 13th September to 18th October 2011. There were six evening classes.
- Northern Short Story Festival – June 2017. There were short courses on writing short stories, and panels about writing short stories.
Lighthouse School – November 4th 2016 & April 27th 2018
I came in to talk about my experiences as a writer to a small group of students, and then I answered their questions about writing and publishing.
Readings – August 2015
August 1st 2015: first author reading of The Antpod Faction 2nd Edition in Leeds Central Library.
Stalls – March 2013
To promote my books, I have manned over fifteen stalls at sci-fi/book events from 2013. I spoke to customers and stallholders, put on my brave face, and signed books.
Programs and Tools
Microsoft Word 2010’s Track Changes tools for editing, revision, and document formatting to prepare ebooks and paperback books for publishing: adding headers and footers, changing settings, defining custom styles, table of contents, and using macros to speed up some editing processes. I’ve formatted ebooks and books for Kindle, Createspace, and Smashwords; and increased my proficiency on subsequent titles.